PIAZZA DEL CAMPIDOGLIO
This splendid square was conceived by Michelangelo, who also designed the two palaces on the opposite sides of the square, whoose divergence creates a widening perspective which is most effective. It is reached by the grand flight of steps known as the "Cordonata", built to a design by Michelangelo especially for the triumphal entry of the Emperor Charles V in 1536. Michelangelo placed on a new pedestal the equestrian statue of Marcus Aurelius (161-180), removed in 1981 for some delicate restoration and situated on the ground floor of the Museo Capitolino.
Address: P.zza Venezia / Via dei Fori Imperiali